Friday, February 17, 2012

Going Somewhere, Maybe?

Still transitioning here, although I'm not sure where I'm headed.  Not a whole lot of running to report, but I am doing fairly regular hill sprints during my morning walks in Rock Creek.  I'm very excited for the spring and summer when I can get out there earlier and with more sunlight.  Maybe I'll even get back into some real runs.

I've committed to a 50-mile mountain bike race weekend after next (26th) down in Richmond.  No serious training, although I've gotten out for a few group road rides and a couple solo extended commutes on the bike.  Part of the motivation was a 3 hour mountain bike ride I did on New Year's Day - first time I've ever been on one of these goofy two wheelers.  Now I understand.  Wish I could do it more, but I don't have a mountain bike and the closest trails are a drive away.  Beyond the group and extended solo ride, just been my typical morning evening commutes with some intensity injected when I feel like it.

The 50-miler will be an interesting experiment on multiple fronts - given that it'll be the second time I've ever ridden a mountain bike.  It'll also be the first endurance event I've done since the marathon last year, and the first I've ever done since I gave up grains, sugars, and processed foods.  Speaking of diet, I've been eating a TON of fat lately, namely saturated fats such as clarified butter, organ meats (!), coconut oil, and even some cultured whole fat yogurt.  How have I been missing this for so long? 

Otherwise, feeling absolutely full of energy, even under all the work and life stress.  Even been successful at reducing that a bit, and improving my sleep some.  All these things really seem to be compounding, and I'm loving it.

No comments: