Friday, January 14, 2011

Nonlinearity

I'm back! The left shin was somewhat sore until Wednesday afternoon, so I decided to try an easy run Thursday morning. 6 miles (51:00) on the treadmill before work and things felt fine after an initial period of hesitation that lasted about 10 minutes. It's strange, almost like the stiffness just melted away as my legs warmed up.

The other days this week I stayed busy with some lifting and cross, and some cycling. I netted over 110 miles from Sunday to Thursday on the bike and man it felt good.

This morning I swung by Rock Creek at sunrise for a jaunt around the park. The trails are covered in about an inch of white stuff from Tuesday night's storm. Made traction challenging in some spots but otherwise it was fine. Legs actually felt great and I remember a distinct feeling of relief that this shin issue seems to be passing. Just needed a few days off I guess, although I'm wondering if I overreacted. I guess it's probably good for me anyway and I'm glad to be erring on the conservative side unlike some years past. After winding up and down some trails the route ends up on the Valley Trail, which is a great relief after hustling up and down the hills for the previous 5 miles. It's about 3 miles of mostly flat trail along the creek, and today I wound up more or less naturally falling into a tempo effort. This felt great and everything was gravy after the run. Calling it an 8 mile effort, 58 minutes. Looks like it was just a case of the back-to-work blues.

It's been suggested to me before and I've noted over the past few months that this process (training) is nonlinear. This jives with what I sense to be an undulating, although ultimately rising, path. Curves and dips, mini-progressions, then you wind up on higher ground. Although sometimes it's easy to focus too intently on the setbacks, which many times (actually every time, in my experience so far) turn out to be minor in the greater scheme of things.

No comments: