Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Distractions

1:30+ running in Rock Creek this morning.  After 50 min or so of lackluster trail stomping, I took my shoes off for 10 minutes to see if I could find a rhythm.  Not sure how this works, but once I put my shoes back on the final 30 minutes of the run were some of the best I've had in a long time.  It's almost like I had to prompt the muscle memory for lighter footfalls (such as required for running barefoot on a gravel laden dirt trail) and then it stuck around for the rest of the run.  Hips (especially glutes) are very much involved here, and I relished in the sense of coordination and strength that seems to be returning to my stride.  Gym strenght training is helping.  Feet feel great now, with the only complaint being the plantar irritation (it has lingered for the past few months).  But even that felt better once I went barefoot.  Wondering if this will ultimately resolve through these barefoot "moments?"  Also, right shin is almost a forgotten injury.  Good riddance.

My major frustration these days is not finding the time to check in here.  I feel like I've made some huge progress over the past couple of weeks.  It would be nice to divulge some of that and where I think the change has taken root.  In a nutshell, I think it's mostly that I've been allowing myself to do what I want, and heeding the feedback I get from my body.  The new diet has also made a significant impact.  Not stuffing myself full of chocolate and ice cream and cereal and pasta, I'm discovering new tastes I never knew I had.  Put like that, it's a wonder I didn't make this connection sooner.  I guess I'd always suspected that nutrition makes a big difference, just was never willing to look past my fears and insecurities.  Don't we deserve to eat whatever we want when we are working so hard burning calories?  Apparently it's not that simple.  Also, with a lack of training pressure (i.e. upcoming races on the calendar) I guess I'm just not pushing myself as much as I would be otherwise.  Speed does occasionally work its way into my legs, such as the last 15 minutes of today's run.  It's just sporadic, and mostly when I'm not really making an effort.  Which is the best kind of speed.

Also did 1:30 on Saturday, :30 and weights on Sunday, :50 yesterday AM, :30 yesterday PM.  This has been almost exclusively soft surfaces and trails.

This window has sat open for 7 hours, guess I got distracted.

No comments: