Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Slugs

Been running, just not been blogging.  I won't make an effort to recap all the details of the past week but I'll note that it included daily runs with a few strength routines mixed in there.  Spent the past weekend in Boston where I was reacquainted with the Charles River paths.  Saturday explored down to MGH and the Museum of Science and Sunday went the opposite direction out to Watertown.  What a great place to run.

So I guess running has been going fairly well, although some issues still haven't completely resolved.  Right heel and left arch are more of a nuisance than anything serious, but after a quicker road run last Thursday the right heel was definitely more sore than it's been in a while.  Felt OK after taking Friday off.  All this seems to boil down to a process of adjustment.  Feedback and fine tuning, rest and growth.  The process of adapting to lighter footwear is a slow one, but one I'm convinced will pay dividends in the long run.  Pun intended.

Tired this morning after a double day of morning weights and a short run yesterday evening.  Couldn't find a rhythm in Rock Creek, and this was probably a combination of mental and physical fatigue (can't seem to get enough sleep lately), the wet and sloppy trails, GI issues (I learned the hard way how long hard-boiled eggs stay fresh), and anxiety about upcoming holiday travel.  Observed a slug belly up in the mud at one point and quickly identified with it.  Some days you feel like a slug, I guess. 

Looking forward to hopping a flight to Colorado tomorrow.  MM's parents have moved into a new house, and should give me plenty of streets to explore in the pre-dawn hours.  But it's a holiday, and I have a stockpile of DNR cards to cash in should I feel so obliged.

No comments: