Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Good Evening

Back in Philly.

Last Thursday night after a long day I got out for :30 or so along Penn's Landing. Felt pretty good, except the metatarsal pad the doc gave me was just a little uncomfortable. Not sure it's gonna work, at least not for running anyway. Seems to feel OK when walking.

The following morning I caught a flight to San Francisco to visit my brother Nate, who lives in the area. My mom and my sister also happened to be in CA, and on a magical kind of whim we decided to take a quick trip to Yosemite National Park. After visiting some giant sequoias and hiking around a bit, I ended up above tree line on a peak that overlooked the park from the east. The pic below shows Nate, Alexz, and Bowie (the dog). Moved by the beauty of it all, I couldn't help but get a quick jog in with my brother's dog Bowie, an enormous but gentle beast. The two of us descended the roughly 1000' over about 2 miles or so. :20? I've decided that will be the first of many visits to Yosemite. Words can't describe.

Sunday I took a ride around the San Fransisco area with Nate. He's taken to cycling of late, and it was a blast chasing him up and down those hills. THOSE HILLS!!! 30+ miles, untimed. We rode single-speeds, and at one point some hot shots passed by us and egged us on during a steep ascent. I was able to catch one of them but had to let em go once I realized Nate and I had ended up on opposite entrances to the Golden Gate Bridge. What an absolute joy.

This evening after another long day, I wound up on the treadmill for :30+. Threw some "striders" in towards the end. I have to mention that for the past month or so I've been focusing on keeping my HR down (<150 or so) during these "runs," which end up between 9 and 12 min pace. Today was on the slower end. Afterward I did some leg lifts to help strengthen those pesky obliques, which have actually been feeling fine lately. Biking seems to aggravate them more. Would make sense that the two are related given the immense amount of cycling I've done this summer. Lately, I've been taking the el.

Hoping to get out a few more times this week, but not stressing if I don't.




































GG Bridge enveloped in fog. 60 and cloudy on one side, 80 and sunny on the other.

No comments: