Friday, March 26, 2010

Benefit of the Doubt

Gave myself an opportunity to sleep in a little yesterday, which was well needed after a couple weeks of more or less restless sleep. This is an area that I probably could stand to improve. I remember reading somewhere that a significant amount of tissue repair happens during deep sleep. During the day your body is busy metabolizing food and performing the various functions associated with your daily activities. Once these functions subside all that energy can be directed toward rebuilding the tissue that was torn down during the day. I rarely sleep through the night and I'm sure it affects my recovery from things like running, cycling, etc.

My feet were a bit too stiff for my liking yesterday, so when I got home from the rock gym last night I soaked them in hot epsom water. Between that and the strange device I've been wearing to bed every night things feel great this morning. But I'll allow another day for them to catch up and give myself the benefit of the doubt. They've had a pretty tough week all things considered.

Rockville was a blast last night. Gwen and Dean showed up so I top roped for a bit. I spent more time socializing than cross training and in general I didn't quite have the pep I did on Tuesday, but that was to be expected. I did manage a few tougher routes, including a 5.10b. I think that's the highest rated route I've climbed to date.

As it stands I'm planning on heading down Porter Ave to pick up one of the trails in Rock Creek tomorrow morning. It'll be cooler but hopefully sunny.

No comments: