Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reflections on Recovery

It's a habit of mine to reread my last entry before posting a new one. Something about continuity and expanding on themes.

Don't have a whole lot to expand upon today, except that a viscosity evident in my last post is still hanging around. Like some old synapses haven't quite reconnected and I'm struggling to find words for my thoughts. This is just one more reason I'm excited to be back here. Clear out those cobwebs.

I've run twice in the past two days. Lately it's been the treadmill, but MM has caught spring fever and I've been happy to get out onto the streets with her the past few weekends. The temperatures have been more or less ideal, and to be cliché, the spirit of reawakening life finds itself into your bones, energizing.

Today we traipsed around Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights, and I can say for the first time in a while that I ended the run feeling better than when I had started. This is a wonderful feeling and reason enough for me to hold onto hope, however futile it might seem sometimes. It feels like I'm passing by a steep section of the recovery curve, the time it takes to break through the stiffness the past six months has dealt me. And it's leveling out now. I'm not sure this translates into any biomechanical process; perhaps the breaking up of scar tissue? I haven't reached the point where I'm keeping hard tallies of weekly mileage, but the time will soon come. I plan to keep it pretty moderate for the time being, slowly building a foundation of miles.

No comments: