Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Long Story Longer

Just a quick update here as I'm pressed for time but don't want to lose hold of some posting consistency of late. Rest of last week was a wash after an epic Tuesday filled with all kinds of craziness. I topped things off Tuesday eve with a 5.11b at the rock gym. Got all the pieces of the puzzle and now it's just a matter of connecting them in a consisten manner. I'll probably try again tonight.

Wednesday I took the short route to/from work as I was feeling pretty wiped out and Thursday and Friday I wound up in Pittsburgh on business. I got home early enough on Friday evening to swim for about 45 min, a refreshing change of pace, especially given the recent high temperatures.

Saturday morning I spent some time lifting. Things are going well here and I'm glad I've incorporated this. Still feel a little out of place in that part of the gym but I'm gradually getting over that.

Sunday morning I picked up a marathon in the saddle along a modified northern crescent route. Began conservatively but picked up the insensity as my legs began to notice the relative rest of the previous few days. 26.2 miles, about 1:30.

Took advantage of the holiday on Monday and got out for a planned 50-miler. I was glad I'd held back in terms of mileage on Sunday because my ride on Monday was absolutely spectacular. The lower overall weekly mileage left me feeling very good and I surprised myself with a pretty decent pace. Ended up with 45 miles due to a pit stop to help out another cyclist with a flat. I regret not writing yesterday about this but the rest of the day got swept away into BBQs and the search for a swimming hole. We failed at the latter but I definitely spent a few hours adding back the calories I'd burned in the morning.

This has turned into a longer post than expected and I should puncuate it here with some thoughts about plans for the upcoming weeks. I liked how the lower mileage week left me feeling over the weekend. At the end of June I'm headed to a cottage on Lake Huron for 10 days and I'd like to take advantage of the large expanse of open water while I'm there. I'll be mixing in some swims, looking for about 3 per week. I've never really been able to swim any significant distance in open water but I'm hoping this summer I can change that.

No comments: