Friday, May 30, 2008

Nachos and Trails

I felt crappy when the alarm went off, and I blame it on a late dinner last night that included some pretty greasy nachos and a few beers. Regardless, I biked to the Wissahickon with a goal of 60 minutes on the trails. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite exercises, and sadly I think the only thing that will keep it from becoming a fixture in my weekday mornings is the amount of time it takes. Unless I get twice as fast, I don't see that changing much. The ride to the park was reserved, I'd rather ride easy than risk cutting into the quality of the upcoming run, and I just didn't feel entirely on anyway.

On the trails, I trusted myself a little more than last week, and I made some pretty decent charges where I could. I found the Thumb Bridge, which eluded me last time I was here, as well as some other vistas that were pretty stellar. There were only two close calls, once when I slipped off the face of a large rock after tramping through some mud and the second when I narrowly avoided launching off a ledge at the bottom of a hill (I thought the trail continued, Wile E. Coyote style...) by grabbing onto a tree trunk. Lots of out and backs as I had to turn around multiple times after discovering I had strayed from the trail. Again, difficult to turn around and I was out for 70 minutes running. BF cooldown at the end.

On the ride back my body must've finally found those nachos hidden somewhere and I felt really great for the ride home. Granted it's not a very long ride but I thought I'd be tired after already almost 2 hours of activity. Didn't stop my watch, so door to door it was 2:40. I'll conservatively call it 7 miles run.

No comments: