Friday, May 23, 2008

Wonderful Morning

Ever since I did this bike-to-run a about a month back I've been itching to return to the trails in Wissahickon Park. I learned then that my fear of arriving at the trailhead tired from the bikeride over was unfounded. It's about 8 miles one way, not very far on a bike. The westerly winds have been pretty diligent all week, and today it was more of the same as I rode west along Kelly Drive. Instead of trying to battle through it, I settled into an easier gear and spun my way up to Manayunk.

Once at Forbidden Dr, I pulled a change of shoes from my pannier and ditched my windbreaker. The shoes I chose to wear today are very minimal for trail shoes. This is supplemental to my experimentation with the whole barefoot idea. Not much to them really, though the soles hold up really well on the rocks and gravel. Once I stashed my saddlebag I went looking for some trails.

I'm not very familiar with this area so I just picked one and went. I wanted to stay out for 40 min or so, but after 20 min it was very hard to turn around because I was enjoying myself so much. Time seemed to fly by as I kind of zoned out for a little while, focusing on my footfalls and hoping I wouldn't twist an ankle. I kept a pretty easy pace but at times it was hard not to push a little. It lasted 45 min. I'm not sure how far it was, but I'll conservatively call it 4.5 miles. I grabbed my bike and made it home by 9:30, so about 2.5 hours door to door.

No comments: