Monday, August 22, 2011

"Turtle Ahead!"

Some dude yelled out as I passed him in the other direction on the Rock Creek trail headed south the other day. I spent a few seconds trying to figure out what he meant: someone walking, or a slower runner, a la rabbit and the hare? A pile of poo?

Turned out to be a turtle crossing the trail. Ha. Hope he made it across safely.

Got a nice note from Seebo, who appears to be doing pretty well despite some setbacks earlier this year. Oh, how I've come to know those setbacks. But I'm pretty sure he's the one who convinced me that they always pass.

The weather was pretty ideal this morning (for this time of year, anyway). Picked up about 6.4 miles on the way to work via the route I've been biking and running from Glover Park (think north Georgetown), where I've been housesitting for the past couple weeks. When I hit the Capital Crescent trail I crossed paths with a woman running behind a stroller. I lagged behind her a bit and it was as if my presence made her push harder. I love this, not sure if it's out of a competitive drive or what, but the same thing tends to happen to me when someone hops on my tail. She was quite a badass, and I couldn't quite keep up with her today. Stretched it out to the gym, where I finished up with about 30 min of core/weights. 50:30 running.

I suspected the run home would be sluggish, and it was. I've been covering the roughly 4-mile stretch in about 30 min flat, but today it lasted over 31. This was part design, part tiredness. Hit a lot of traffic lights, just not a very enjoyable run.

But now it's getting late, and I've got an early morning. Ciao!

No comments: