Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bricklaying

Hopped on my trusty steed around a quarter past 9, sneakers and some rations in a single pannier. Chilly morning, a little damp, I had goosebumps on the way down Kelly Dr. Got to experience the annoyance that is trying to maneuver around all those bipeds today, they should really learn to get some wheels. This time I let it slide with a half-smile though since after all, soon I'd be one of them.

Passed Dierdre wondering if she was headed to the same place I was. When I got there, Steve strolled up to my surprise and we chatted until John and Dierdre (I assumed she wasn't headed here - turned out to be wrong) arrived. Tied up the pony and stashed my saddlebag beneath a stone ledge.

I couldn't believe how luscious and green everything seemed along the trails. It's like the rain overnight spurred the forest back to life, the flora finally gaining its confidence after the early spring tease. I've only briefly been on these trails before, and I think I'm definitely going back. We kind of fartleked around for a while, maybe 4 or so miles, before catching Forbidden Dr and taking that back to where we started. Trails varied from dirt to rock to stream crossing, some steep parts, the rest gently rolling. The pace increased gradually as the run progressed. Mine ended after 1:26, including some stops. Distance unknown, calling it 10.

After some water and a banana I saddled back up and rolled along Kelly Drive to Fairmount. Here I met a friend for a brief coffee and much needed bagel. I completed the refueling with a quiche from a bar in my neighborhood that serves brunch on Sundays.

It seems like trails can be gentle and dangerous at the same time. The soft surface is easy on the legs and the varied terrain helps to prevent stiffness from the same repetitive motions over and over. On the other hand, my left ankle rolled on me twice, the first time with a subsequent four-letter announcement. Second time it didn't bother me too much. Now I know that the ankle's fine, but I'll have to be careful in the future.

No comments: