Sunday, October 16, 2011

Extreme Tapering

Just a quick check in. Unfortunate, as I had a lot on my mind today that I wanted to jot down. Maybe it'll come out over the course of the week. 

Right shin/calf has calmed down after a full week of no running. Friday I got out for about 6 (50 min) and yesterday was the last long run before MCM. 16.5 in 2:17. Focused on going slow. Windy, sunny, and parched. Not that comfortable of a run and I was probably dehydrated and definitely hungry. 

Today was one of the better runs I've had in a while. About 80/20 dirt to pavement ratio, kept it mostly slow, but I felt some momentum come back today after the short layoff. Beautiful day, and a refreshing end to an otherwise shitty week. Resolved numerous times this week not to run the marathon but I think I'm back on the wagon. 

Not thinking of weekly mileage anymore as it's kind of depressing to look at it that way (a mere 30 miles last week and 40 the week before) but focusing on what I can do to hold onto what I got for another two weeks. Mostly that's rest and recovery, but I'll squeeze one last pacing workout in, probably on Wed or Thurs. So much for a gradual taper. 

No comments: