Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Catch Up

I've been trying to make this post all damn day. Been playing catch up here. Posts from my phone don't exactly show up at the time I posted them.

I've been tired and hungry after this weekend's rides, but it was back to work today. Last night I envisioned a 50-miler before work. Couldn't get out the door in time to make this happen, so I thought I'd get out as far as I could within the timeframe I had.

Took the Arlington Wineglass loop and right around the end of the W&OD section I caught up with a guy on a mountain bike who seemed pretty studly. He sensed me behind him and picked up the pace. I took the bait, and soon enough he waved me past him. With him sucking my wheel, we covered the Curtis Trail quicker than I ever have before. This section is fast to begin with and we must have averaged well over 20 mph over the roughly 5 mile rolling stretch. I can't believe he was able to ride that fast on a mountain bike with studded tires and front suspension. I experienced some oxygen debt like I've never ever experienced before (that I can remember) and it reminded me of one of the great (or terrible) reasons to ride or run with others.

I ended up capping the ride at 30, feeling satisfied that the effort I'd expended on the Custis section outweighed the possible benefits of adding additional miles. 1:40.

No comments: