Thursday, September 16, 2010

Long and Short

Went out for a run this morning. Nothing too serious, just figured I'd mix things up amidst all the cycling miles of late. Found a nice little loop down on some trails in Rock Creek Park. I've discovered some alternate entrances which are much closer to my doorstep than those I've used in the past. It was still pretty dark so I took my headlamp along. Seems I may need to get a brighter headlamp if I expect to do this further into the fall and winter. About 25 minutes, fartlek style.

I also ran Monday morning for a something like 20 minutes. The foot has been feeling OK. It generally doesn't bother me during the day, but it's still a little stiff when I take my first steps in the morning. It doesn't really act up too much when I run, however, which is a good sign. Actually, my achilles has been feeling it more than anything, which is interesting. This is how the injury seemed to progress back when I first started having issues. First the achilles, then the arch, then the heel. It seems to be unwinding itself in the opposite progression with which it started. Still, I've been sure to ice it plenty and keep up with the stretching.

Didn't do any serious riding Monday as I'd traveled back down from Philly and didn't really have the time. Picked up 16 or so just commuting for the day. Tuesday was 30 in the morning, 40 total. Yesterday was 37 in the morning, 47 total. This is the same progression I've been using on Wed/Thurs in past weeks, but I bumped it up a day this week. It's the same route on both days, with an extended loop around Bethesda on the 2nd day. There are a few checkpoints by which I can gauge my progress. The 5-mile time trial along the CCT went by in just over 15 minutes on Tuesday, which is good enough for a PB. Yesterday I finished the Arlington portion 2 minutes faster than on Tuesday, but lost about a minute and a half on the aforementioned CCT section. However, I finished the total ride yesterday about 4 minutes faster than last week, which is a pretty decent jump. I'm reminded that sometimes it's the larger picture that matters more than the details.

I'm looking forward to my excursion to southern Maryland tomorrow. Logistically it'll be a bit challenging. Sometimes it's awkward showing up at a social scene in sweaty bike garb, and there are a few loose details such as where to leave my bike, etc. I'm planning on leaving around 8:30, and I'm hoping to complete the 80ish miles in under 4.5 hours, putting me in St. Mary's by 1:00 or 1:30. My friend Gwen (who will be joining me in the wedding serenade) will be meeting me with a change of clothes, some stringed instruments, and hopefully some food. I'd like to get out Saturday morning on a 30- to 40-miler just to shake the legs out. Sunday I'll be riding the distance home. Won't have access to internet, so look for the long and short on Sunday evening.


No comments: