Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tapering

Got in some good workouts this weekend. None of them involved a bicycle.

Lugged a truckload of stuff down some steps in Philly, only to lift it back up some steps in DC. Moving is one of those occasions where regular people become superhuman, enduring feats of strength and extreme fatigue like it's life or death. Imagine going to the gym and doing single leg squats for 5 hours. It wouldn't be possible there, but it's not all that different from hauling all your belongings up and down steps all day. In fact I think moving is tougher. It's how such things can be endured (and I think it's mostly a mental thing) that intrigue me to the point of experimentation.

On Saturday, amidst the packing and loading, I got out for a short run. One of my old standby routes along Delaware Ave. 30 minutes or so, felt no worse for the wear afterwards.

This week my only goal is to ride as many miles as the weather and my schedule will allow. Friday is out as I'll be out of town, and it looks like tomorrow may be as well, owing to the rain in the forecast. I may run tomorrow morning instead.

I'm glad I got to rest from the bike for the past three days, but it also feels like something has been missing. With just under two weeks until the century, I suppose I'm tapering.

No comments: