Sunday, November 21, 2010

That Elusive Place

Had plans to run with some company this morning. Amanda, one I befriended in Philly who now calls Madison, WI her home, is in town on an extended work gig. Madison is my birth city and we've always related over this.

The idea was to meet her at her hotel near Logan Circle and run around the mall for up to 5 miles. From my apartment it was a relaxed 2 miles, mostly downhill. We continued down 14th St to the mall and did a loop around the Washington Monument before heading back uphill. Amanda cut this middle loop short due to some asthma (I can't imagine how tough it must be to run with an affliction that makes you short of breath) and I got back to Logan Circle in an additional 3.4 miles. Said bye to Mandy and headed back north. It was great to have someone to talk to, however brief it was.

I decided to head over to Georgetown via P St as I knew there was a connection to Rock Creek Trail there somewhere. I couldn't find it right away and wound up doubling back a bit, but I eventually found it and dropped down onto some softer surfaces (it had been sidewalks up to this point).

Most of the stretch along Rock Creek I'm feeling a little self conscious about what would end up to be about a 20 minute addition to the longest run I've completed in the past year. It's also two miles added to last week's run. My legs were feeling tired, but for the most part I felt pretty solid through the final miles. It's another threshold I've crossed, inching closer and closer to where I want to be. It's a vague place, very elusive, but I'll know when I get there. And keep my fingers crossed that something doesn't break along the way. 11 miles, 1:26:29.

No comments: