Sunday, November 14, 2010

Time for a Rest

CCT out-and-back to Silver Spring. Crossed the 1-hr barrier today. Took about a mile for me to warm up, but after that things were smooth until about 56 minutes when things got stiff and slow. I've been having a few phantom twinges in my left foot reminiscent of those back in 2008 when I got a stress fracture. It's true that ever since that injury my foot hasn't felt quite right but I'm really not interested in revisiting that experience. It's about time I had an easy week and this gives me ample impetus.

Had a good cry out there today. Hadestown (everyone needs to listen to this album) playing on my iPod, the beautiful fall colors, the warm sunshine, work strife weighing on my mind. All of the sudden I'm overcome with emotion and I'm sobbing. What a relief. 9 miles, 1:04:33.

I came across a woman with a young child who had apparently fainted while riding down the trail. I stopped and asked if she needed help and encouraged her to call an ambulance but the woman seemed hesitant. Not sure what that was about but there's always a risk in being overly assertive in situations like this where it's not exactly clear what has happened. The young girl looked pallid, she seemed a little despondent, and I really just wanted to grab the woman's phone and dial 911 myself but I allowed her to somehow convince me that she had things under control. I jogged off feeling helpless but assured that there were other people around and when I returned down the trail they had left. I suppose there's a thousand different scenarios for what really could have been going on but I do know that sudden collapse like that is usually pretty serious. Hope she's OK.

No comments: