Friday, February 22, 2008

Blasé, but Okay

I love what happens to the city when it snows. The empty streets recall memories from a few years ago of riding around the city in the back of a pickup truck during a snowstorm, throwing snowballs at some other friends who happened to be the only other souls out among the drifts. While it would have been nice to get out and frolic about in the snow for an hour this morning, I settled for the gym as I’ve done for the last few Fridays.

I’d second-guessed this decision by the time I got there. Because I didn’t feel like riding in the snow, I had to rely on SEPTA to shuttle me across town. This of course means I arrived 25 min late to the gym (at 1234 Market St, “25 min late” loosely translates to “with remarkable haste”). By this time I’d decided to cut out any cross-training I had planned for today (i.e. cycling, rowing). So effectively I’d come to the gym to do something I could’ve done in my own backyard, or lack thereof. Should’ve followed my instinct and gone snow-running.

So I ran 4 miles without having gotten anywhere. This may have indeed been the best thing for me though as my legs are feeling pretty heavy. I was sluggish and uninspired in general this morning, which tells me I’ll need to take it easy after this weekend. No left knee pain, but my lower legs (calves and shins, esp. the right) are achy. Monday starts a decrease in volume and slight increase in speed work. I may run long on Sunday as opposed to tomorrow, depending on how I feel. Weather should supposedly be nicer on Sunday as well.

[3 x 20 pushups, 6-5-4 chinups, 3 x 20 situps, 3 x 10 lateral leg lifts, various stretches]

No comments: