Saturday, February 23, 2008

(Southbound) Passenger Train

I was ready to put in up to 16 today, but the general consensus among the few of us who've been meeting for weekend long runs was to wait until tomorrow to go longer. This was fine by me, as tomorrow it should be a bit warmer and sunnier than today, and I'll have had an additional 24 hours before a longer effort. Judging by how my legs feel now I know I'll be okay tomorrow, though I haven't completely let go of my fear of longer runs. This reflects on my greenness as a runner; part of what's motivated me in the past 8 months is facing fears like this. Isn't there some T.S. Eliot quote referring to fears and risk?

Anyway, my title refers to a song I was humming before the run and began humming again afterwards. Today's passenger train wasn't southbound however, although I wish it had been. Dierdre and I chugged our way over slush covered sidewalks on the West River Dr bridge, and Seebo soon hopped onboard after missing our PMA departure by a minute or two. Onto Montgomery Ave, through West Fairmount Park on roads that are becoming more and more familiar. We picked up another passenger on the Concourse, Veena, and the pace picked up slightly. It felt nice to loosen up a bit.

Seebo and Veena debarked at Market St, where Dierdre and I headed east to City Hall and back up the Parkway to the PMA. My easy ride home felt great, although I was a bit chilly. Note to self: purchase new gloves. Overall, 10 miles in 1:14:34. Average HR 165, max 176.

No comments: