Monday, February 25, 2008

Recharging

I sighed in relief as my waking thoughts coalesced into a coherent recollection: “It’s Monday, no running today.” Today marks the second predawn yoga session of late and I think it’s something I can grow accustomed to. Makes for a very gentle transition into the day.

I spotted Veena, whom I met briefly on Saturday, out for an early morning run as I sped by on my single speed on my way to 30th St. Still haven’t replaced the seat that was swiped last week, thus I’m bound to a single gear on my “work bike.” As a bicycle messenger I used to ride this bike with a fixed gear setup, and I’ve been tempted lately to flip the rear wheel around and "fix it" once again. Anyway, I often find that I compartmentalize elements of my life – run, commute, work, school, music, etc. – lately I’ve felt the borders of these compartments melding together (i.e. seeing someone I ran with while commuting via bicycle), a subtle but interesting feeling.

Monday Recap


2/18 – 0 mi, PM yoga
2/19 – 4 mi/29:45 treadmill, stretch/core, PM yoga
2/20 – 10 mi/1:25:45, stretch/core
2/21 – 10 mi +track/1:14:48, stretch/core, PM yoga
2/22 – 4 mi/33:49 treadmill, stretch/core
2/23 – 10 mi/1:14:34
2/24 – 16.5 mi/2:06:01

For the week, it’s 54.5 miles in 7:04:42. Average pace 7:48. I missed my envisioned 50 mile cap, but I won’t attempt to rationalize this. Just happened. My legs are feeling like I imagined they would after two 50+ weeks in a row. Left knee is feeling much better to my surprise since last week was slightly more intense than preceding weeks. Left ankle has begun to act up again (lost my footing yesterday on an uphill – not serious but enough to aggravate it), but as long as I take it easy around sharp right turns I should be fine. It should be easy going from here into Caesar Rodney, as I’m planning to cut down the mileage leading up to the race. I’m inching closer to a decision about Grandma’s Marathon in June. I’d really like to do it though my schedule (classes and whatnot) doesn’t seem to be able to accommodate it. Let’s see if I can make it work.

No comments: