Thursday, February 7, 2008

In Circles

It was tough to get out of bed this morning. I always sleep poorly Wednesday nights, for various schedule related reasons I won’t divulge here. So I’ve come to expect challenging Thursday mornings. Not to mention I may be experiencing the preamble to a head cold.

I was mostly mucus-free however as I approached the Temple track after a 2.5 mile easy warmup. The route there up the shallow hills of Cecil B. Moore is already familiar from the days I used to ride my bike to class. Sunrise above the colorful “free walls” is one of subtle beauty, although I was a bit early for that this morning. Hopefully the route will become more familiar a piedi in the coming weeks as I begin to ease into interval workouts.

The surface of the track felt wonderful beneath my feet and I wanted badly to dig in. However, as my knee still feels slightly tender I opted out of a full throttle track session. 6 easy laps round the loop and it was back home. Coming off the track and descending the Temple “plateau” I naturally settled into a quicker pace. I’d left home at about 8:45/mile and returned at about 7:45/mile. 6.5 miles in 53:30.

[2 x 25 pushups, 2 x 30 situps, 2 x 10 single leg squats, 2 x 10 “donkey kicks,” 2 x 10 standing piriformis lifts, various stretches]

No comments: