Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Because Nice Weather Seems Nicer

I’ve been thinking about overcoming my fears of the swim and trying some laps, especially while I have access to a fairly nice pool. This growing thirst was definitely thwarted today as I slogged through messy, messy conditions on my way round a southern tour of center city.

Something about running in terrible weather strikes my fancy, at least while I’m not doing it. Then I cross a certain threshold and find myself miserable. Today that threshold was when my garments had soaked the entire way through after landing in the 70th unexpected 5” deep puddle, while trying to avoid ice and oncoming vehicles who were themselves avoiding ice by cruising down the bicycle lane. I laughed as I skated across 34th St. Bridge into West Philly, wondering if I’d be any less comfortable if I slipped into the river below. I came to the conclusion that I’d be more comfortable.

I was psyched prior to the run because as far as I could tell by judging the weather forecasts there would be a 2-3 hour break in the “heavy rain” during which there would be only “light showers.” This lull came later than anticipated, after I’d already been out for an hour.

Regardless, I had Bob Dylan and Charles Mingus to keep me company, and the majority of the run was fairly decent considering the extremely ridiculous conditions. And only once, after the rain had stopped, did I lose my balance while spritzing along the sidewalk and hit the ice (it was graceful at least). Thanks for the support Bob. Ironically, during the desperate ½-mile stretch between Spring Garden St. and my front door, Mingus cued Rachmaninoff and I had a lovely segue into reality. I was ready for the credits to start rolling on this tragic yet bizarrely amazing run. 11.25 miles in 1:36:18. Average HR 149.

No comments: