Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yawn Johns

Out the door by 4:50 AM for an easy 10 miles. I can’t seem to escape uncomfortable weather on Wednesdays. Guess we’re making up for that 60 degree teaser 3 weeks ago. Needless to say, today was the wrong day to wear a different shirt than I’m used to. Typically I wear the same magical upper all week just because it keeps me warm if it’s cold, and vice versa. I’m not sure what my logic was, or maybe it’s because it was so damn early, but I chose lighter layers this morning. Thus I never hit that sweet spot after 15 minutes of running with goosebumps where my increased body temp balances with the colder air around me.

Running down South St. always seems weird to me, and today was no exception. I think it has something to do with the severely rutted asphalt and the sensation of tip-toeing down the city’s dark hallway of indulgence while all the bar-goers are sleeping. Don’t get me wrong, I advocate bar-going, but that street in particular has a certain spirit, drawing large crowds who cause asphalt ruts, littering the sidewalks with the bubble-gum detritus of life at night. The wind increased the further west I got.

I don’t know why I expected (perhaps it was more of a hope) the wind to have died down by the time I got to the Schuylkill, but the wind nearly stopped me in my tracks approaching the river trail. Strangely, the mysterious “Hidden River” tour vessel appeared to be about 6 feet below its normal level – the river was running pretty thin. I needed the boost up Spring Garden St from the tailwind, as the first hour or so had been against the wind. Left knee tender but manageable, iced it upon returning home. I hadn’t intended to cycle to 30th St, but I ended up spinning through the center city wind tunnels so as not to miss my train. That, combined with my way early morning, left me yawning, but not out of boredom. 10 miles in 1:25:45. Average HR 146, max 162.

[3 x 25 pushups, 3 x 30 situps, 3 x 10 calf lifts, various stretches]

1 comment:

John W said...

I think I've seen your comments on blogs in the past. I guess I just didn't realize it was you. Welcome to the blogosphere