Saturday, June 7, 2008

Fox on the Run

Heat seems to be the hot topic everywhere, in the streets, on the airwaves, via the internet. It's not officially summer yet but this weekend it sure feels like it. My classes are done as of yesterday, at least for a few weeks. I still have finals, but it's downhill from here. It's also MM's birthday tomorrow, which arrives with requisite celebration.

I spent last night on a South Philly rooftop serenading the neighborhood with some string band ruckus. Was out kind of late, and had a few more beers than I usually would have the night before a running event.

In spite of this, and in spite of the heat advisory issued for the region I decided to run the Wissahickon Trail Classic, a 10k race over some local trails. This morning I took the train to Chestnut Hill where I met John. We "warmed up" by jogging to the start of the race. By "warm up" I mean that we were both drenched in sweat after the mere 10 minutes of easy running.

After chatting with some folks for a while the race director announces that if we vomit on our bib, we're responsible for tearing off the number in the race chute. Apparently there have been issues with this in the past.

I don't remember too many specific details about the race. I know that I went out at a moderate pace, underestimated the first hill or two, and thought maybe I'd be one of those folks tearing their own numbers off at the finish. In John's word's, the race was "horrible." Somehow this translates to fun. Seriously though, despite the heat, and excluding the 50 minutes or so between the start of the race and the finish, it was a pretty good time. There was pizza provided at the finish line and on the jog back to John's neighborhood I really wished I'd indulged. Not sure if he could tell, but as I rushed out his door to catch a nearby train, I was pretty kicked.

My final time was somewhere around 47 minutes, pretty good considering the conditions, and considering that I wasn't really there to hit a certain time. Props to John who finished 23 overall. I knew he'd do well considering all the miles he's been putting in on those trails lately. On the bike ride home from downtown I realized that the past 24 hours have been pretty damn good, spent in good company doing some of my favorite things. I'll call it 10 miles for the day.

1 comment:

seebo said...

Got a neighbor who plays that hillbilly stuff as well. He's got a website: www.sugarinthegourd.com