Monday, April 7, 2008

Still...

...making the adjustment to full time classes.  No activity today, not even a bike commute.  This is good for me.

Monday Recap

3/31 - AM yoga
4/1 - 4 mi/35:00, stretch/core
4/2 - 9 mi + hills/1:14
4/3 - 6 mi/50, PM yoga
4/4 - 4 mi/34:30, stretch/core
4/5 - 8 mi + Tyler 10k race/1:00
4/6 - 13.5 mi/1:49

Total of 44+ miles in 6:00.  Lots of hills: Wednesday's dedicated 6x60s on Belmont Plateau and plenty more during Tyler 10k trail race.  Good thing Saturday and Sunday were both off the pavement or else I'd be hurting more right now.  Actually, I feel quite good.  I seem to be recovering quicker from harder efforts, a good sign.  This week (4/7) is a planned easy week with a mileage cut and only one workout.  All the rest easyish miles.

I should reflect a little more on Saturday's race.  Well, I've done the reflecting, but I should get some thoughts out for the record.  As crazy as it sounds I thought I would finish faster than my previous 10k (41:30).  The fact that this seemed reasonable shows my naiveté when it comes to trail races.  Half the reason I stopped running halfway through mile 2 was because I knew I wouldn't be PRing, and I was pissed.  I doubt I would've finished much faster if I'd paced myself a bit more in the first mile.  The fact is that I'd never experienced such race conditions before: abrupt and steep climbs; twisting, narrow trails; wet feet adding pounds to my stride.  And I know, Tyler 10k is quite tame compared to a lot of other trail races.  

So, two days later, I've accepted the results.  I'm satisfied and eager to learn more about myself.  Last week was a whirlwind, but I'm coming out of it with a clear head.

No comments: