Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Reward for a Late Night

I have some catching up to do with this thing.

Very busy weekend, mostly school related. Missed a Sunday run for the first time in quite some time. If there was any week to miss it, last week was it, as it was a planned easy week. I'll be honest though, it wasn't easy to make a conscious decision not to run.

Yesterday was supposed to be an easier run after a longer Sunday run. Turned into a steady trip 'round Eakin's Oval with 10x30s strides. Felt strange during this run, like I'd lost a bit of momentum or something from previous weeks. 6.5 miles in 50:00.

This morning at 3:00 I finished my schoolwork for the night. With 9:30 class I didn't think I'd be running at all, let alone putting in a tempo workout. Somehow I pulled myself out of bed at 7 and returned to a tempo route I've run a couple times in the past weeks. Things went well to my surprise. Plan was to extend the tempo portion to 5 miles by running the cooldown mile at pace. This would bring me back past my block where I'd continue north for a revised cooldown.

Uphill first mile 6:26. A little brisk but I felt good so I went with it. I've commented in previous posts on the unmarked mile splits along this route. I noted the splits today, but I'll refrain from analyzing them too much. They were consistent enough. I felt strong for most of the run, pushing steadily to just beyond my comfort zone.

Five mile tempo split was 32:o1. Same pace as the first time I did this workout with an additional mile tacked on. Around 4.5 miles I started to notice the extra mile, especially with the slight headwind. 2 mile cooldown up into Port Richmond. Total 9 miles in 1:05:08.

Monday Recap (belated)

4/7 - rest
4/8 - 5 mi/42:50
4/9 - 10 mi + 4x1600/1:15:13, stretch/core
4/10 - PM yoga
4/11 - 4.5 mi/37:00, stretch/core
4/12 - 6 mi/50:44, AM yoga
4/13 - rest

Total of 25.5 miles, so the lightest week since my February sick week. Moving on.

No comments: