Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Placebo Effect

I've been trying to make this post since Monday but I've been so busy that I'm only now getting around to finishing it.

*****

My grandfather told me a story once about how he was having some foot trouble. A nagging pain eventually bothered him enough to see a doctor about it. At the consultation, the podiatrist looked at his feet and shoes, and concluded that there was nothing wrong except that my grandfather had been tying his shoes too tight. He loosened the laces and the pain promptly went away.

I don't think it really makes sense, but ever since I picked up a new pair of shoes my plantar fasciitis hasn't really bothered me as much. I experienced something similar a few months ago when I switched my bicycle saddle and tweaked my riding position a bit. What led me to realize there was something wrong with my setup was that I borrowed a friend's bike and the hip discomfort I'd been having off and on for the past couple of years totally melted away. I guess what I'm hinting at is that there are many external elements involved in injury. I often blame myself, for being weak, or not disciplined, or irresponsible, for these things. But just like my grandfather, it seems a simple adjustment can make all the difference.

Of course, many issues have been at play with my plantar fasciitis, including all the barefoot running I did last summer. And there is undoubtedly a psychosomatic element of all of this. The placebo effect. Whatever it is, I'll take it.

Following up on my previous post, I did end up taking a short run on Monday. Just an easy 3.1 in 25 on the treadmill. I revisited some body weight exercises I've been neglecting for a while that I'd like to reincorporate.

Tuesday I took a beautiful spin around town, winding through Woodley Park and heading uphill along Cathedral Ave. I realized what the name was all about when I caught a glowing view of the National Cathedral at the top of the hill. I remember questioning how it could be possible that just a few months ago I had trouble running a few steps without discomfort. All of the sudden I'm traipsing all over the sidewalks up and down hills with no pain to speak of. Got my fingers crossed, but if a run like yesterday's (all pavement, ups and downs) didn't upset things, I'm not sure what will. 4.9 miles, 37:15.

I gave myself a break today and took the opportunity to get ahead (or catch up, depending on who you ask) on some work. I did have the urge to hit the asphalt this evening. But I'll save it for tomorrow.

And I spent a fair amount of time looking at upcoming road races. I've got the Jug Bay 10k coming up next week. And I'd like to try a Thanksgiving race. Possibly even something on New Year's Eve. Not to race, per se, but I'm feeling a need to validate all of this.

No comments: