Thursday, September 1, 2011

Beach Drive Tempo

Short quick one this morning.  Warmed up, then had a goal of splitting the 3 miles between the Zoo and Taylor St on this route in 20-21 minutes.  Hit the split in exactly 20 minutes, which surprised me as I had no pace feedback along the tempo course.  My pace varied with the terrain, and the feared Mathewson hill, where I've done hill repeats in the past, definitely made me burn.  Happy with the effort, and it was nice to run short.  5.9 miles in 43:22.

My right forefoot was bugging me again and I suspect it's related to my footwear, which has gone from supportive to fairly minimal in a short amount of time over the summer.  Yesterday seemed better and I was wearing some more traditional padded shoes.  I'll continue to sub in the beefier shoes and maybe try a metatarsal pad (had luck with them in the past) and see what happens.  I'm definitely into the lighter shoes but there is a transition rate that I'm probably slightly exceeding.

In other news, it seems I may have the opportunity to do some international travel for work in October.  It's unclear how this will affect my marathon plans, but it's likely that if the dates conflict (MCM is Oct 30) I'll probably take the work opportunity.  Sort of highlights my lack of true commitment to this marathon in that I could go either way, and I'm not sure what that means.  It definitely makes me less apt to push through any nagging injury issues should they fail to improve, and that's kind of a good thing, but it still feels like a cop out.  For now I'll continue to build up the longer runs and just wait and see.

No comments: