Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hillyer

Double run commute day, and I knew I wanted to work a tempo into the mix somewhere.  Originally thought I would do it on the way home, but decided it made more sense to go hard in the AM and relax on the run home.  Worked out for the better in retrospect.

Figured I had a chance to cover the 3.5 miles between Piney Branch and Western Ave in 24 minutes.  Gave myself some leeway because of the net uphill course, and I honestly thought I was being even a little conservative.  Felt good from the chute and took off on the tempo segment smoothly.  Pace varied with the terrain and I slowed down as expected once Broad Branch turned upward.  What came as a surprise, though, was how steep 27th street is leading up to Military Rd.  I don't think I've ever seen that road other than on a map, so I had no idea how steep it would be going into the run.  Turns out it was hillier than expected.  That hill broke my heart this morning as I huffed and puffed and tried my best to maintain momentum.  Got stopped at the Military Rd traffic light and I immediately thought 'alright if I'm gonna sit here for 30 seconds waiting for the light to change there's no reason I can't still come in under my goal of 24 min.'

I regrouped and focused on cruising over the rolling terrain (which is much easier for me than long, steep hills) and found myself within sight of the 3.5-mile split with 40 seconds to go.  I tried not to sprint but lost control a bit and even felt a tiny twinge in my left hammy as I made it to the turn off in 24:04.  So close!  Given that I'd never run the course before and had no idea what to expect, I'm pretty satisfied that I came within seconds of hitting what was almost a wild guess.  But I now have a benchmark, we'll see if I can work up enough courage to try that again next week.  7 miles total, 52:24.

Got my days mixed up, so I unexpectedly found myself in Arlington for a work function until after 6 this evening.  Didn't show up without my pack though, and as soon as I had the chance I stuffed my clothes and fancy shoes into the tiny compartments and headed off along the Custis Trail back north and east.  Tired, and hot, but not a bad commute.  Nice to revisit a trail I haven't seen in a while.  6.7 miles, 52:00.  The sign for Hillyer St down in Dupont caught my attention just as I was reminiscing on this morning.

No comments: