Sunday, September 25, 2011

Wisdom of the Non-Running Type

I tend to reread the last post or two before jotting down a new one.  Think I've mentioned it before and not really sure why I'm feeling the need to mention it again (or at all).  Perhaps there's sometimes a desire to write with a fresh perspective, unfiltered and not influenced by past thoughts.  But then I think there's something to gain from establishing some continuity here.

Looking back, I see some foresight in my last entry that, for better or worse, was somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Ended up having more travel woes, delays, and general work stress that pulled the rug from under me and I just wasn't able to cope with that this week.  Won't spend too much time here ruminating on events that unfortunately are sometimes unavoidable.  I'm glad I was able to see them coming and am now hoping the brunt of it has passed.

After a crappy week that only featured two runs  (4 on Monday and 12 on Wednesday) I got out onto the trails in Rock Creek Saturday morning for an hour or so with Rob.  It's amazing how much running with company can make a difference.  Calling it an 8 mile effort.

Had a show with the band Saturday night that was a blast but didn't help me wake up early for a run today.  I was probably already dehydrated when I got out to RCP again around 1pm, looking simply for up to two hours on my feet on mostly unpaved trails.  Run began somewhat precariously today as the discomfort in my right foot coupled with my hunger and sense of defeat from the week brought me pretty close to walking back to the car.  Decided to pace myself and take it easy, which today took the form of a few more water stops than usual.  I fell into a rhythm by 30 min or so but overall today was somewhat of a slog.  In retrospect, I felt much better after the run, and that feeling continues physically as well as mentally for having stuck it out.  Calling it 13 miles, 1:40.  I know it's a risky game to continue on in the midst of my foot issues, but I've been here before and this feels surmountable.  So far the best remedies are stretching, massage, and being conscientious of my shoe choices (decided that the more minimal shoes will be limited to the track and shorter runs on soft surfaces).  Otherwise it's the heavier shoes (Brooks Adrenaline) I'm more accustomed to.

Got another couple of bigger weeks ahead of me before I start winding down leading up to MCM.  At this point in the game during my buildup to Grandma's this spring, if you'd have asked me, I was almost certain I wouldn't start the race.  I'm in a similar place after this week, but I'm licking my wounds and moving forward.  Maia mentioned to me (she's often on the receiving end of much of my whining) that I should just go out and run how I feel, and reassess come taper.  Two weeks out, if I feel comfortable with the idea of running a marathon, then all I have to do is focus on recovery.  Pretty great wisdom coming from a non-runner.

Weekly total was somewhere around 37 miles.

No comments: