Sunday, March 9, 2008

Caesar Rodney Half Marathon

Last night we lost an hour, so when I sprung out of bed it was 6:00 AM according to the clock, 5:00 AM according to my body. Good thing I’m used to being up so early. Didn’t sleep terribly well last night, but I expected this.

Warmed up to the breaking day with a light yoga session. Ate my bagel with tomato and avocado, sucked the obligatory favorite morning beverage through my bombilla, and awoke MM around 7:15. Time to go.

As we plowed south on I-95, the wind made itself present in a way that frightened me. It was tough to stay in my lane. I got even more anxious when the “low fuel” light blinked on. Damn, should’ve left earlier. Yanked a right turn onto the exit ramp and to the nearest gas station, where MM pumped and I emptied my bladder.

Calmed down a bit as we pulled into downtown Wilmington around 8:45. Plenty of time to spare. Hopped out of the car to determine whether I’d wear shorts or tights. Decided on the shorts, as it would’ve been the first time wearing those tights and I didn’t want any surprises.

Took care of the race bib and timing chip and waited in the starting area. Warmed up for a few minutes, then ditched my sweats and found Steve K. We found our way to about the 6th row of runners. Nod to a few other Philly folk. Opening remarks, then the cannon blasts.

***

Disclaimer: the following account uses data from my Garmin, which recorded today’s course roughly 250 yards too long. I trust a measured course more than I do satellite reception amidst tall buildings, so I’m not making a statement about the course. As a result of the discrepancy however, the split times are slightly off, but I’m using them regardless.

As soon as the gun goes off, I’m floating downhill towards the riverfront. Sticking to my plan for today, I coast down the hill and stay calm once it flattens out. Mile 1, 6:37. Seems easy, and I feel pretty relaxed.

Runners begin to pass me at this point and I alternate between hanging on to the crowd and holding back, allowing them to pass. Keep it easy, let ‘em go. Small crest into a housing development against the wind. Mile 2, 7:01.

Small hill continues against the wind, but we turn to the Southeast, and we’re going downhill again, wind to my back. Loop back around to where we entered the housing development, then head South, paralleling the river. Mile 3, 6:51. Ok, this is the pace I need to settle into.

We eventually cross a strip of empty restaurants and other commerce, hit the boardwalk, which seems to be of fairly recent construction. Still relaxed, but maybe too much. Mile 4, 7:00. I’ve now taken the time I banked in Mile 1 and turned it into a 2 second deficit (with a 1:30 finish time in mind). No matter, just keep going, I’ll make it up on the downhills.

Continue along the boardwalk and turn to the North when it ends. Mile 5, 6:55.

Mile 6 crests across downtown, and seeing MM along Walnut St makes me smile. I blow her a kiss. 6:54.

We’ve now turned to the West, into the wind and uphill. Mile 7, 7:05. 20 second deficit, and I know I could easily lose up to a minute more in the next 2 miles.

Begin to push a little bit, steadily. Still uphill, still into the wind. Hills begin rolling a bit, and Mile 8 sees the steepest climb. Begin to pass others who are slowing down. Prior to the race I didn’t intend to grab water from any of the aid stations, but for some reason I do during this stretch. Didn’t seem to slow me down too much. 7:18.

Finally hit the top of this damn thing, and I’m passing more runners. I worked to get up here, now it’s time to let the hills work for me. Mile 9, 6:49.

Continue rolling gently, into AI Dupont Middle School for the turnaround, grabbed a sports beverage. Now it’s time to dig in a little. I’m still focused, paying attention to my breathing. Mile 10, 6:48. By now I’d begun to notice the lag between Garmin’s miles and the course’s marked miles. Shucks.

Still headed Southeast, and the wind is mostly to my back, but it starts to swirl around, mixing me up a bit. I take what I can get, letting gravity do its job. I stop briefly to tuck the shoelace that has almost tripped me 5 times already into my shoe. Mile 11, 6:40.

Now I’m sensing fatigue, but I try to stay calm. Just float. Mile 12, 6:24. I’ve decided to just give what I can. By now I’ve lost trust in the GPS.

Still downhill through Mile 13, and I begin to push once I see the Market St hill. 6:33.

This hill is a bear for me, especially with the 30 mph gusts in my face trying their best to discourage me. I can see the ticker, and it reads 1:30:xx. Not breaking 1:30 today folks, but I crest the hill and put in a final sprint, crossing the mat with a chip time of 1:30:37.

***
After catching my breath, I found the other TEKBOD runners and learned that everyone finished well considering the blustery conditions. Of course, I can’t claim any responsibility for the team’s victory, as my finishing time would have been more of a weight than a contribution to the final average. However, I’m honored to associate with these folks, and look forward to widdling my times down closer to theirs in the future. For now, it’s important to me that I know I put in my best effort today, and therefore I’m satisfied with the results. Special thanks to MM, as I seem to be somewhat useless without her.

As for the timing issue, I’m mostly disappointed that I’ve allowed to happen something I’d sworn I wouldn’t allow, and that’s dependence on some gizmo to tell me what I should be able to just feel. But, I’m learning, and with that come minor setbacks. Now I’ve got a new challenge. I could complain about the fact that if I hadn’t stopped for those drinks, and to fix my shoelace, that maybe I’d have held onto that 37 seconds. And maybe I was too relaxed in the first 5 miles. But what’s the use?

I’m looking forward to an easy week, and since I finally replaced my bike seat and seat post, I’ll be taking the ride to Wayne this week, maybe two.

1 comment:

seebo said...

You PR by, what was it, 4 minutes and you focus on those 37 seconds?

You had a great day out there in less than ideal conditions on a tough course.

You got a bright future (at least runningwise) ahead, and I'm sure you'll soon forget about those 37 seconds.

The uphill finish into the wind... if you're like me that's a story you'll hang onto.