Monday, March 31, 2008

Beer, Bridges, and Bubbles

A weekend of extremes. Friday night, let myself celebrate the start of a new phase of my life. I am jobless, soon-to-be broke, and settling back into full time classes.

Yoga on Saturday morning took the edge off my post-celebratory state, put the run off until 5 PM. I'll call this the "Easy Run that Wasn't, or BFB Jr." not because of the prior night's imprudence, but mostly because I ran harder than planned. I didn't do arcade sprints like last time, but I'm learning that the nature of the route makes it difficult to run easy. 6+ miles in 51:29. HR 158. Cold bath afterwards to help with the left hip issue, which doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Sunday morning took a trip to Wissahickon Dr with MM. This was, simply put, amazing. Warmed up nice and easy with MM for roughly 12 min, then picked it up to a steady pace, which I held for about 75 min before returning to cool down. The path to Northwestern Ave is studded with the green shoots of fresh plant growth, and the 5 or so uphill miles were spent picking out these and other subtleties of spring which normally elude me. Glenn Gould provided rhythmic impetus with his Goldberg Variations. I am more amazed each time I hear these. After u-turning at Northwestern Ave it was back to where I started, a bit quicker because of the downhill. The pace became tougher to maintain after this turnaround and the return leg of this run always seems longer than the way out. I was glad to slow down when I met MM at the start of the paved trail. My legs were feeling pretty battered at this point. The pace of this run was around the slower end of my tempo range - not too slow, just fast enough to beat me up a little. I got everything I wanted out of the 13+ miles, including great scenery, wonderful music, and good company. Total time, 1:41:17. HR 168. Afterwards, cold bath. Spent the afternoon at my folks' house, which has a hot tub among other amenities such as a backyard and no cold drafts. I wanted to spend the night in the bubbles and steam. Since I ran out of time in the morning, I did my core routine after all this. Bringing myself to do this was one of the most challenging things I've done in a long while.


[3 x 25 pushups, 3 x 25 situps, 3 x 15 lateral leg lifts, 3 x 15 “donkey kicks,” 3 x 15 piriformis lifts, 3 x 10 single-leg squats, various stretches]



Welcome easy day today with yoga this morning.

Monday Recap

3/24 - PM yoga
3/25 - 6 mi fartlek/49:53, stretch/core
3/26 - 5 mi/42:45
3/27 - 7 mi tempo/52:02, stretch/core, PM yoga
3/28 - 4 mi/34:28
3/29 - 6 mi/51:29, AM yoga
3/30 - 13 mi/1:41:17, stretch/core

41+ miles for the week in 5:32, 8:00 average pace. Focused on consolidating hard and easy efforts. I liked that easy days (such as 3/28) were just that, no strings attached. Easier on the mind too. Legs tired but manageable. Looking forward to Tyler Arboretum 10k next weekend.


No comments: