Sunday, March 23, 2008

Trespassing at Thomas Point

Yesterday evening MM and I arrived in Annapolis to visit some of MM's family friends.  I've never been here, and I was excited at the prospect of spending this morning exploring a piedi.  It was chilly but sunny when I stepped into the fresh bay air, and I was supremely satisfied not to be in the city.  Right about this time every year the grayness of winter starts to erode my spirit; the thought of leaves on the trees keeps me motivated.

I knew I'd be down here today so I planned this out-and-back.  Yesterday's pre-run hesitation carried over into today a little, but my legs felt much better, and as the miles ticked by, my smile grew wider.  Right at the end of the seemingly high-valued strip of real estate on Thomas Point Rd, there was a fence blocking my path into the state park.  I appreciated this gate for one reason, and that's that it was imposing enough to keep traffic out, but short enough to climb over.  Though I was slightly underdressed the sound of wind rustling the tall marsh grass kept me warm, as did the spectacular views of the bay from the tip of Thomas Point.  The time on my feet today was spent pondering one fundamental reason I do this thing, and that is to better facilitate the simple ability to explore.  In my mind there's no better way to learn about a place than to be in it, walking, biking, running, etc.  I had an overwhelming desire to float off into the bay in lotus pose but I quelled the desire so as not to miss out on the holiday feast later today.  10 miles in 1:24:37 is lighter than recent Sunday's but just enough to work up an appetite.

No comments: