Sunday, March 16, 2008

Equilibrium

Mike says that's what happens when you run on days like this. Cool air, spritzing rain, indirect sunlight. The surroundings suck the heat out of you at the same rate your body produces it, resulting in a comfortable balance.

At just about 9 AM Seebo showed up at the PMA to meet anyone interested in some longer miles. Two takers today, myself and English Mike. While the two of them are gearing up for Boston next month, I'm just looking to maintain and recover from Caesar Rodney, so I decided I'd do 14 miles give or take. Not marathon long, but long enough for me today.

Relatively familiar route, West on Kelly Drive till the Wissahickon, then up to Forbidden Drive. Mike split off after roughly 8 miles out from the PMA, and Seebo and I climbed our way into Roxborough and down into Manayunk via the infamous Wall, an incline that must be steeper than 15% grade in some spots. During this race cyclists climb this hill 10 times on the course loop. I was happy to be descending only once.

At Main St I hung a left to head back to Kelly Drive and Seebo took a right, looking to cross over the Schuylkill onto Belmont Ave. By now the effects of yesterday's workout, my sorry excuse for sleep last night, and my mildly dehydrated state were conspiring to make me feel sorry for myself. This never happened, but the going got tougher the closer I got to Lloyd Hall. In response, I upped the pace ever so slightly and brought in a strong finish (relatively speaking). Doing so when I'm tired seems to loosen me up and give me something to focus on besides my heavy legs. All in all, wrapped up about 15 miles in roughly 2:02. Maybe it's just me, but I thought we were faster than that. I'll sleep well tonight.

No comments: