Friday, March 7, 2008

Damned Run

Missed my first opportunity to run this morning. I'd agreed to drive my roommate to the airport and overslept a bit, so I had to rush out the door. Made sure to throw my get up into the car with me. Got to work extra early, where I almost got out for a running tour of Wayne. Would have been nice to revisit some of the suburban loops I know from land-scraping during high school summers. Slipped away. When the downpour started I guessed I'd have to stop at the gym on the way home.

Sitting in traffic on the Schuylkill Expressway irked me supremely today. Inching slowly along, I couldn't decide whether I'd put some treadmill miles in or try my luck on Kelly Drive in the rain. My indecisiveness ended abruptly as my car creeped within sight of the Montgomery Ave exit.

I pulled off the highway and parked in the first lot I saw. I'd changed into shorts and a long sleeve tee before leaving work, so I hopped out of the car and was off. Up a fire trail to Belmont Mansion Rd, then down Chamounix Dr, where I loosely strung together a mile out and back at a moderate effort. Last week's rest and this week's lower mileage certainly has resulted in some pep in the legs. As it grew darker I began to become disoriented, especially since I can't see a damn thing when my glasses get wet. Finally found my way back to my car, but the lot I'd parked in had since been locked. Shit.

What am I supposed to do now? Tried 411 for the Fairmount Park Commission, that didn't work. Tried 911 and made sure to inform them that I wasn't dying, but that I was merely stuck in a parking lot. Shucks. 45 min later two Philly police wagons role up and here's the dialogue:

Happy Cop: What are you doing!?

Me: Umm, I didn't realize the gate would be locked and --

HC: What were you doing down here?!

Me: Well, I was stuck in traffic and I thought --

HC: These gates close at 4 PM! Don't park here past 4 PM!

Me: Actually, I pulled in around --

HC: You heard what I said?! 4 PM! Got it?!

Me: Sure.

HC: Get out of here! You hear me?! GO!

I love Philly. Such pleasant public exchanges. Don't blame 'em though. Had probably been dealing with accidents all night that were causing all the traffic in the first place. Pretty great short run, although I'm not sure what the deal is with all the drama. Fits pretty well in my week I guess. 4.2 miles in 31:21. Average HR 163. Looking forward to CR.

No comments: